New Orphanage at Armidale
A large orphanage at Armidale was recently dedicated and opened by the Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Cattaneo. It is situated in 80 acres of elevated ground. The building was commenced in October, 1919, and is constructed of black and white bricks made in Armidale, and consists of two wings and the central administrative block. The facade is of Gothic design, embodying strength and refinement. Two bayed gables rise upon either side, steeply pitched, and surmounted with pinnacles and crosses. There are arched cloisters, surmounted in the centre by a statue of St. Patrick in a Gothic canopy. The building has a frontage of 113 feet and a similar depth. The ground floor consists of a fine entrance hall and cedar staircase, large schoolroom for boys and girls, dining-room and offices, engine-room, reception-room, refectory, community room, and a fine chapel. The upper floor contains dormitories and dressing rooms, provided with hot water and electric light, and a complete septic sewerage system is installed. The orphanage cost £17,000. The architect was Mr. F. J. Bishop, of Tamworth, and the builder Mr. G. F. Nott, of Armidale. There are 600,000 bricks and 60,000 feet of timber in the building.