Old news from Armidale and New England

Local news from newspaper archives

Fire at Ebor

with one comment

Saturday 13 November 1937, The Argus (Melbourne)

CAT GAVE FIRE ALARM

FAMILY SAVED: HOUSE BURNED

SYDNEY, Friday.

Frantic cries from a cat saved the lives of a family at Ebor, near Guyra, early this morning, when the home of Mr. Jack Cavanagh was destroyed by fire.

Cavanagh was awakened by a cat meowing loudly, and on investigation found the rear of the house in flames. The cat had been locked in the kitchen overnight by mistake, and as the flames spread the cat’s cries gave the alarm.

Cavanagh aroused his family and a youth who was staying at the house.

The building was destroyed.

Advertisements

Written by macalba

September 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Ha, this begs an obvious question…!

    Sasha

    September 17, 2010 at 9:23 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s