Old news from Armidale and New England

Local news from newspaper archives

Vain bid to save mother

leave a comment »

Monday 27 September 1954, The Sydney Morning Herald

A man was forced to stand by helplessly while his mother burnt to death at Lambing Valley, near Glen Innes, late on Saturday night.

The mother, Mrs. Annie Catherine Webber, 76, a widow, was alone in her house when fire broke out in the kitchen.

Her son, Eric Webber, 34, was about 300 yards from the house tending some lambs when he saw the fire.

He tried to enter the house to rescue his mother but was driven back by the flames.

He watched helplessly as the fire destroyed the house built of wood and iron.

Police believe that an overturned kerosene lamp caused the blaze.

Webber told police he had left the house only a few minutes before the fire broke out.

He said his mother was active for her age and was probably overcome by smoke while trying to put out the flames.

Only the two of them occupied the house.

Advertisements

Written by macalba

December 3, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s